Consult An Attorney
Insurance companies cannot unreasonably delay or deny paying a legitimate insurance claim, and the penalty under the law for doing so is they have to pay double damages, plus attorney fees and costs.
Insurance companies cannot engage in bad faith when processing your claim, and if they do, they can be subject to punitive damages. Common examples of unreasonable delay, denial or bad faith:
- Lowballing the estimate by omitting repairs required by the manufacturer.
- Refusing to pay claims without conducting a reasonable investigation into your claim.
- Misrepresenting material facts or policy language in denying or delaying your claim.
- Insisting that you take your vehicle to the insurance company’s “preferred provider” shops, knowing that the shop will agree with the insurance company’s lowball estimate.
- Threatening to or actually cutting off your rental car benefits under the policy until you accept their lowball offer.
Be sure to keep all relevant information, including:
- The policy and declarations page;
- All emails, text messages, or letters between you and the insurance company;
- All audio recordings of any phone calls with you and the insurance company
- All handwritten notes you made of any phone calls with the insurance company.
- Any timelines you’ve created about your claim.
If you feel an insurance company has engaged in bad faith in processing your claim, or unreasonably delayed or denied your claim, call us at 303-759-7018 for your free 30 minute consultation. If we take your case, we work on a contingency fee, which means we only get paid if we win your case.
File A Complaint With the Dept. of Insurance (CO)
The Colorado Division of Insurance (DOI) regulates the insurance industry in Colorado. They help consumers by answering their questions, investigating their complaints, and helping them to understand their insurance. They regulate and monitor the insurance companies in Colorado, as well as insurance agents, making sure everyone is following the law.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Complaints are filed through the Consumer Portal, where you will first need to create an account using an email account and password. The portal is a secure way for consumers to submit insurance complaints and communicate with the Division of Insurance. Once the account is created, you will use the email and password to log into the Consumer Portal.
- After logging in to the Portal, you can submit your insurance complaint.
- There are several pages to complete. Know that the Division needs this information to properly investigate your complaint.
- After your complaint is successfully submitted, a “Complaint ID” will be provided and an email will be sent to you with additional information.
- You will then be given an opportunity to upload supporting documents to the Portal.
- From then on, you will have the ability to communicate directly with the Division about your complaint through the Portal.
Anytime there is any activity on your complaint that requires your attention, you will be sent an email. You must log into the portal with your email and password to access information about your complaint, including updates and the Division’s responses to your complaint.
What you should know about your body shop estimate Reading a body shop estimate can be difficult for the average person. These documents are full of acronyms and jargon that may not mean much to the vehicle owner. And in this case, what you don’t know might hurt you…...
When you want to know how to choose an auto body shop, there are many things to consider. You are likely to receive several opinions about where you should bring your car. Most of those opinions are based upon the experiences of friends and family, or guided by your...
Hail damage season is upon us. As the seasons change from Spring to Summer, it’s important to be aware of the fact hail often comes along for the ride. The midwest part of our country faces severe weather that usually produces 7-9 hail days every year. And with those...
When searching for a Lexus body shop, you probably type ‘ Lexus body shop near me ’ into Google. You get the search results, and it’s easy to just go with the one closest to you. In this article, we are going to tell you how and why that might be a very expensive...
Many people are searching for the best Subaru body shop in Denver, but finding the best can be confusing if you don’t know what to look for. We’ve compiled a brief list of really important questions that you should ask ANYONE claiming to be the best Subaru body shop....
Every day you are bombarded with messages from the insurance companies of the world, all of whom claim that they can save you money, or protect you better than the next guy. And yet, when the time of your greatest need arises (after an accident), all of a...
Who should you trust? The doctor… or your insurance adjuster? On the surface, the question may sound ridiculous. That’s probably because it is. But let’s play it out a little. You (hopefully do not) have a medical condition that requires a surgical...
The good faith angst between insurance companies and the shops they DON’T own… Independent body shop owners are in a constant “David and Goliath” struggle with insurance companies that believe that they can underpay for repairs, regardless of the effect...
It’s hail season in Colorado, and many people will be searching for best hail repair shops via the search engines. We have assembled a list of things you absolutely need to know before taking your car to any shop for hail repair. 1. Your insurance company...